It took us interviewing a designer to finally dive into the financial component of working for yourself. Aaron’s early years as an employee made him acutely aware that his income wouldn’t scale with his output unless he was on his own so eventually that’s what he did. His financial strategies aren’t complicated but they require discipline. Here are a few:
- Create a lifestyle where you can live comfortably on a modest salary and treat any extra income wisely, being careful not to blindly increase your expenses.
- Your 30s are for earning. Buckle down and do it.
- Save plenty of cash for slow times.
- Pay your bills immediately.
- Feeling like you’re ahead of the game on student loan payments and actually being ahead of the game are two different things.